The two most common sizes of wood shakes are
1. Medium grade, ½ average thickness
2. Heavy grade, ¾ average thickness
Not all wood shakes are of the same quality. We offer the following grades:
1. Regular grade. Rough appearance, wood has lots of knots, many shakes are only 6-8” wide. (Not recommended).
2. “Select” grade. Most popular choice among our customers. Appearance is not as rough or irregular as the regular grade. Shakes are generally of 85% edge grain. Shake are wider than regular grade making for a better quality roof installation.
3. Premium grade. These are the best quality. More uniform in thickness and appearance. Wood is clear heartwood, 100% edge grain with a wide cut. Wood of this quality is less likely to cup and curl.
Warranty 30-50 year limited warranty.
Weight 3-4 lbs per sq ft.
Fire Rating Class A, B or C. Fire treated shakes provide enduring fire protection with a state of the art treatment process. Cedar shakes are placed in pressure treatment cylinders where fire retardants are injected into the inner cells of the wood. The material then goes into a polymerization process and the fire retardants are locked into the wood. After 10 years of outdoor weathering and regular testing, the treatment has been deemed permanent.
Insulation Cedars unique cellar structure makes it an excellent insulator, keeping your house cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
See more photos in our Gallery.