Roof Replacement in San Jose, CA
Westshore Roofing Provides Superb Roof Replacement Services
Westshore Roofing is known for providing exceptional roof replacement services and repairs in San Jose, CA and throughout the Bay Area. Our team of roofing experts can deliver comprehensive roof installations, fix leaky roofs, and repair flat roofs, among a host of other capabilities. We can even offer guidance and expertise about what roofing material may work best for your home. Our customers are our top priority during every project, so we aim to exceed expectations for every roof repair or replacement in San Jose. Our roofers are licensed, insured, and have extensive experience with projects of all scopes and sizes. Below are answers to some of the frequently asked questions we receive. Feel free to contact us today with any questions of your own or to request a free roof installation consultation.
How Do I Get Insurance to Pay for Roof Replacement?
Some homeowner’s insurance policies cover roof replacement only as the result of an act of nature. Even in circumstances when a storm causes damage, roofs that have exceeded their intended lifespan may not be eligible because they are considered to be a general maintenance responsibility. However, your insurance provider may reimburse you for a portion or all of your roof replacement in San Jose, CA under some conditions. You should review your policy and then schedule a visit from your insurance company to inspect your roof. When an inspector arrives, you should be able to readily produce all relevant documents – including a copy of your policy, home inspection reports, receipts for any work you have performed, and estimates from a roofing contractor such as Westshore Roofing – as well as before and after photos of the damage. The adjuster will use all of this information in his or her assessment to determine whether you are covered.
What Materials are Best for Flat Roof Replacement?
There are several materials available to use to replace your flat roof in San Jose, CA. To determine which is best for your home, you will need to consider cost and durability, among other factors. The types of flat roofing materials available include:
- Metal – One of the most common materials used in flat roof replacement, metal is known for its durability. Aluminum roofs can last for more than three decades in the right conditions. An added benefit of metal flat roofing is its ability to reflect the sun’s heat and keep energy costs down.
- EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) – Comprising a synthetic rubber made from recycled materials, EPDM roofs are inexpensive and durable. An EPDM roof is easy to install and has a longer life span than most metal roofs. However, because it features seams, there is a small chance of water seeping through damaged areas.
- BUR (built-up flat roof) – The type of roof that most frequently comes to mind when most think of flat roofs, a BUR is made of tar and gravel. In addition to being aesthetically pleasing, a built-up roof is an efficient insulator. Let Westshore Roofing know if a BUR is what you want. Because of its weight, we will have to inspect your current roof and its support.
- Modified Bitumen – Westshore Roofing can quickly install modified bitumen flat roofing, but it is far from a do-it-yourself project. Because the use of a blowtorch may be necessary to secure the material to your roof in San Jose, you should request professional installation.
What Type of Roof is Best for Me?
There is a wide range of roofing materials for traditional roofs in San Jose, CA. Your personal preference will dictate which is best for you, but Westshore Roofing can help highlight the pros and cons of the many styles, which include:
- Asphalt Shingles – Used for the majority of residential roofs, asphalt shingles are relatively inexpensive and exhibit strong resistance to fire and wind but are not eco-friendly or as durable as some other options.
- Tile – Made of clay or concrete, tiles are expensive and require reinforced roof framing but are long-lasting, low-maintenance, and highly fire-resistant.
- Metal – With compositions including steel and copper, metal roofs can satisfy a range of budgets. They are eco-friendly, available in a variety of styles, and lightweight.
- Plastic Polymer – Ideal for moderate to steep-sloped roofs, plastic polymer is moderately priced, can resemble slate, and features good fire and wind resistance.
- Slate – Only compatible with steep-sloped roofs, slate is very durable but requires reinforced roofing and professional installation. Call the roofers at Westshore Roofing to learn more.
How Do I Know Whether to Repair or Replace My Roof?
There are several factors to contemplate when deciding between roof repair and replacement. Westshore Roofing is happy to offer guidance as you make your decision. First, you must consider the age of your roof. Roofs are meant to last for extended periods, but if you are noticing damage to a roof that is 20 years or older, it might be time to consider roof replacement for your San Jose home. If your first hint of damage is a leak in the roof, let our roofers inspect it. There is a chance that the leak is isolated, in which case a quick repair is the best option. But if your roof is leaking in several areas or there is extensive water damage, roof replacement should be your choice. Finally, consider your roofing materials. An upgrade could help make your home more energy-efficient.
What is Included in Roof Replacement?
The roof replacement process involves several steps, from the removal of your old roof to the installation of a new one. The team at Westshore Roofing will begin by tearing off the shingles or other roofing material present, leaving only the wood decking. Our roofers will then inspect the decking for wet, soft, or rotted wood. If damaged wood is present, we will replace it to ensure a solid base for your roofing materials. Before installing the new roofing material, we will install an ice and water shield to help prevent leaks. Finally, our team of professionals will install your new roof, including counter flashing, ridge vents, and ridge caps as needed. Before we leave, we will also handle all the cleanup.
How Often Should I Replace My Roof?
Your roofing material will usually dictate its lifespan. Other factors that contribute to your roof’s longevity are proper maintenance, exposure to damage, color, orientation, and slope. Darker roofs normally absorb more heat than their lighter counterparts, requiring more frequent roof replacements. Flat roof replacements are also more prevalent because of their vulnerability to moisture settling on top of them. However, average lifespans for various types of roofs are:
- Asphalt shingles – 15-20 years
- Metal – 30-50 years
- Concrete and clay tiles – 50-100 years
- Slate – 50-100 years
Does My Roof Need Maintenance?
You will typically be able to notice when you need roof maintenance in San Jose, CA. Several signs will be visually apparent, including:
- Curled or cracked shingles
- Dark, dirty, or wet shingles
- Shingle granules in your gutters
- Peeling exterior paint near the roofline
- Deterioration around roof objects and openings
- Sagging roof deck
- Light shining through your roof into the attic
- Elevated energy bills
Let the team at Westshore Roofing visit your home for an inspection if you notice any of the signs above.
Contact Westshore Roofing for Roof Replacement Today
Your roof is your main protection from the elements. It is critical to maintain it and ensure its efficiency for the safety of your home and family. The team of roofers at Westshore Roofing in San Jose, CA is committed to providing exceptional customer service as well as roof replacement and repairs that will exceed your expectations. If you need a new roof for your home, need to repair your current roof, or merely want an inspection for peace of mind that your roof is safe, contact us today.